Check out my Instagram Feed

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

There are all sorts of things that are going on here. It's just hard to sort it out. I look and survey the landscape of Shanghai, China I wonder if things are restricted as rumors have it. There are tons of supposed pirated goods: clothes, DVDs, and the like. Does it have anything to do with media and intellectual property? There's some sort of connection but I can't put my finger on it.

On the other hand is the media controlled? I have no idea. I do remember watching National Geographic in my hotel room and they had a segment on the Dali Lama. All of a sudden, the image went blank. Television was on; just silent darkness. I didn't think anything about it at the time. I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "Free Tibet" thing and I don't know much about it other than the movie with Brad Pitt called, Seven Years in Tibet.

Also it's pretty crazy that the internet is patrolled by 30,000 internet police here in China. I don't know how it works with me just visiting and posting things on the internet. I'm not sure if the firewall at work blocks sites. Perhaps it's the large amount of internet traffic or maybe there's a state-run firewall. Other times it could be the infrastructure here in Shanghai. All I know is the internet connection just closes.

There are definite websites that I can't access. Wikipedia is one. I tried some other sites that talked about religion. Nada. Zip. Zilch. That was obvious.

Not going to press the issue. But I do want my Wikipedia.

Strange.
Post a Comment